10 years ago, this was me.
And this is me now.....
How did I get from there to here/ BOUNDARIES.
And I can't wait to share all the deets with you in my newest, upcoming book -
BOUNDARIES for EVERY BELIEVER: Living Life as God Designed -
(8 Essential Keys to Emotional Well-Being)
Because this emotional tool kit propelled me from survive to thrive.
I can't wait to share each of them with you.
10 years ago, I was:
- In a life-threatening car accident that left me in shock trauma for weeks not knowing if I would survive.
- Stuck in a number of hurtful relationships with some family and “so-called” friends as well as colleagues at work.
- Working myself to the bone for other people and leaving no room to “do me”.
- Giving way more time, attention, care, and concern than other people were to some of my relationships and work commitments.
- Tolerating unacceptable behaviors, unknowingly, by remaining stuck in a pattern of all talk and no action with certain players in my life.
- Staying in relationships I should have left a long time ago.
- Trusting untrustworthy people.
- Not heeding some red flags.
- Letting I’m sorry be enough when actions didn’t match these words.
- Excusing other people’s shortcomings, yet, being very hard on myself.
- Confusing forgiveness with reconciliation and reconciliation with amends.
- Not prioritizing my relationship with myself as much as I should have been.
- Trying to set limits but doing so ineffectively.
- Finding myself self-medicating at times.
Fast forward to now and I:
- Am in relationships that are happy, healthy, and trustworthy including the one I have with myself.
- Run a coaching program serving other women who want to go from being stuck in toxic situations and BREAKTHROUGH to healthier relationships.
- Am a published author in a number of local, regional, and national magazines including Business Insider and The Daily at Downtown Hope where I am a regular contributor.
- Wrote a book on Boundaries, my missing link, coming out this fall that I am super psyched about.
- Lead a thriving therapy practice with 10 staff including me.
- Love my life where, yes, I work hard but play hard too -enjoying lots of travel, fun, and time with key family and friends.
- Wake up excited every day - honestly - full of joy and hope and, most of all, love.
How did I do it?
1. I OWNED I WAS THE COMMON DENOMINATOR IN EVERY SCENARIO HOLDING ME BACK
Despite my higher education and life experiences, I still had weak boundaries.
Head knowledge wasn’t enough.
Heart knowledge wasn’t cutting it either.
I needed to dig deep and figure out what wasn’t working and be willing to do whatever was necessary to BREAKTHROUGH or I could continue on the path I was on for the rest of my life selling myself and my dreams short.
2. I LEARNED THROUGH TRIAL AND ERROR EFFECTIVE BOUNDARIES & LIMIT SETTING
So, I got to work learning EVERYTHING I could about boundaries.
I put what I learned into practice until what I was doing worked.
I scoured what God’s word had to say about each and every struggle and made sure what I was doing was in line with what He said.